In the early 1900s the Free Methodist Church decided to build a seminary, or Christian school, in the Southern California area.  Denomination leaders met at a campground meeting in the Sycamore Grove Park area and were looking for land on which to build their church and school.

Church pioneers began purchasing the lots and camped on them while building homes to live in once their children began attending the seminary.  More than 50 cottages appeared in the first year, 1903. The original school at 625 Coleman Avenue evolved — from Los Angeles Free Methodist Seminary to Los Angeles Pacific College (LAPC), which also included a small high school — and in 1965 LAPC merged with Azusa College and moved to Azusa, becoming Azusa Pacific College, later University. Hermon church continues to serve the community with Sunday services.

5718 Monterey Rd.
Los Angeles, CA 90042
Phone: 323.256.2654
Church Website